5 Yoga Poses for Every Athlete to Perform
The life of an athlete is not as simple as it may seem to you. They have to perform long hours of exercises in order to stay fit. They also have to practice for hours to reach perfection in their sport. Such long hours of hard physical work can prove to be quite taxing to your body and mind. What is the solution to this problem? Yoga is the answer! Since ages people have performed yoga in order to improve flexibility and also achieve a stronger and calmer mind.
5 Yoga Poses for Every Athlete
When it comes to yoga, the varieties of poses are endless. However, there are 5 crucial yoga poses for every athlete to perform.
- Side Angle: In a standing position, place your left foot at an angle of 45 degree and in a wider stance. Slowly bring your right forearm to the extreme top of your right thigh and bend your right knee, keeping it just in line over your ankle. Gradually sink your hips lower and at the same time bring your left arm to point at the sky. Lift your chest and also roll your left hip ad ribs upward. Switch sides after holding for 3 to 5 breaths.
- Downward Facing Dog: In order to perform this yoga pose, you will have to place both your palms and feet on the ground. Your left palm and foot should be parallel to the right ones. Gradually lift your hip upwards towards the sky. Keep on shifting your hip upwards till the hip bone reaches the topmost level. Your head should be in between your two hands and you should be facing your legs through your hands.
- Boat: This yoga pose will require you to sit with both your knees folded and touching each other. Place both hands straight in front of you and slowly let your upper torso fall backward. Let it go till you feel that your upper body is at an angle. Breathe 3 to 5 times before you get back in your normal position. You will have to maintain a V shaped curve in this yoga pose.
- Pigeon: First of all, sit on your knees and hands. Gradually, bring your left knee towards the outside of your left wrist. The shin should be flat on the floor and the right ankle should be towards your right wrist. Your left shin should be parallel to the upper edge of the mat. At the same time, slide your right leg back and square your hips until you feel the stretch. Hold and breathe for 5 to 10 times and then switch sides.
- Twisting Lunge: In this yoga pose, you will have to bring your left foot forward from a hands and knees position. The left foot should be between the hands and try to move it forward as much as possible till you feel the stretch, especially in the inner thighs. Allow your hips to sink towards the floor and sweep your left arm to point it towards the sky. Hold for a maximum of 5 breaths and then switch sides.